As a Software Engineer on the Photos iOS team, you will use cutting-edge technology to build best-in-class iOS apps. This role is a mix of 70% hands-on coding and development and 30% leadership, architecture, and mentoring. In this role, you will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to the future of Amazon Photos. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged.
Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live their memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and apps are available on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is also integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Amazon Photos is the latest digital offering to consumers released on the heels of the Amazon Music and Amazon Video offerings. We have bold goals to scale growth and adoption of the service around the world and delight our customers with a great product.
Key job responsibilities
- Architect, design, develop and deploy new features for our iOS apps, working with multiple back-end teams.
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing iOS apps.
- Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
- Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology, and evaluate technical feasibility.
- Work in an agile / scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules.
- Establish architectural principles, select design patterns, and mentor team members on their appropriate application.
- Help define and implement standards and promote best practices for the iOS development team.
- Analyze and optimize applications to maximize speed and scale, factoring in mobile network latency and bandwidth constraints.
About the team
The Photos iOS team is responsible for building iOS apps that enable users to safely and securely preserve and re-live their memories. We have an exciting roadmap of new features to deliver over the next few years, including features built on Core ML and other advanced technologies. Our software is written in native Swift and we make extensive use of the latest Apple technologies including SwiftUI and Combine.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Bachelor's Degree in CS or related field.
- Strong Swift developer
- Passion for iOS development
- Experience with Combine or RxSwift
- Experience with SwiftUI
- Experience with developing performance-critical applications
- Expert working knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design
- Expert working knowledge of design patterns
- Strong working knowledge of operating system fundamentals
- Working knowledge of REST service patterns and other client/server interaction models
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Relentless customer focus
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming