Voice-driven features have been assisting millions of Alexa customers at home with day-to-day capabilities. We are witness to a significant milestone in Alexa wherein these core features are becoming very personal while also bringing family members closer and allowing them to effectively coordinate with one another. The Alexa Family Coordination org comprises three services: Calendar, Reminders, and Sticky Notes. These help family members communicate and coordinate efficiently and delightfully. We are working to fundamentally innovate on Alexa's personal features to make them much smarter via an AI that powers the Family Assistant. Part of the role is to Think Big not only about technology, but about the possibilities. We are looking for entrepreneurs who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, demonstrate a high degree of product ownership, and want to have fun while they make history.
As the Senior Software Development manager for Family Coordination, you will manage the overall engineering team through multiple levels of subordinate managers and senior individual contributors. You will have autonomy and responsibility for what happens in your team and will have the opportunity to shape strategy, structure, culture, mechanisms, operational excellence, and feature delivery. It is explicitly a part of this role to identify product synergies across the portfolio and to structure the org to maximize efficiencies and economies of scale.
Key job responsibilities
- Partnering with product management and design on the overall Family Coordination strategy, as well as the supporting strategies for the three domains (Calendar, Reminders, Sticky Notes). Working on the three-year plan.
- Coaching subordinate managers as they grow in their career
- Delivering features on time with high quality
- Hiring and developing the team; making us a net attractor of talent
- Creating an inclusive culture
- Operational excellence
- Establishing mechanisms to manage at scale, through your team
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer or Software Engineering, other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years managing software development teams
- 3+ years managing managers
- Track record of high-scale hiring and talent management (not dotted line)
- Proven ability to dive deep into software and systems architecture
- Experience building scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems
- 2+ years managing managers of managers (i.e., 3rd level manager or more)
- Experience building software with dependencies on cloud services
- Strong systems operations skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming