Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live their memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and apps are available on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is also integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Amazon Photos is the latest digital offering to consumers released on the heels of the Amazon Music and Amazon Video offerings. We have ambitious goals to scale growth and adoption of the service around the world and delight our customers with a great product.
What we do
Amazon Photos Device Personalization Service team works on helping customers discover and personalize their Alexa devices with their personal photos.
We are looking for a backend Software Development Engineer to join our development team to work on Device Personalization Service that delights our customers through personalization and provide frictionless setup experience. This team works closely with other Amazon Photos teams (Echo Show, Fire TV, Other Photos Services) and Alexa teams (Alexa app, Alexa devices). The team has high visibility and high impact delivering features.
Who you are
- Backend Software Development Engineer with extensive experience developing highly scalable web services
- Customer Obsessed to deliver features and delight customers
- Relentlessly focus on functional, operational and technical excellence
- Define and deliver measurable success
- Experience working with stakeholders to translate business requirements into technical strategy and implementation plan
- Lead and Mentor junior engineers
- Be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged
- Work closely with internal and external teams to deliver features
Key job responsibilities
- Architect, design, develop and deploy personalization features for current and future Alexa devices
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly scalable REST services using Java and AWS technologies (EC2, DynamoDB)
- Integrate with Alexa Services and Amazon Photos Services to deliver features
- Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews
- Work independently with minimal guidance on feature development
- Launch new features in the US and International markets working closely with other Alexa teams
- Work with stakeholders to identify long term opportunities, come up with technical strategies and create implementation plans for the team
- Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
- Improve Operational Excellence including Latency and Scalability
- Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
- Help define and implement standards and promote best practices for the Amazon Photos Device Personalization Service development team
A day in the life
- Work with product and partner teams to discuss requirements.
- Come up with technical design and review with the team.
- Implement solution using the latest AWS technology.
- Launch, and enjoy team events!
About the team
- Backend service team helping customers discover and view photos on devices.
- Work on high scaling service with latest AWS technology.
- Design and lead high-impact project in Photo's space.
- Friendly team environment and good work-life balance.
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5 years of software development experience designing and developing web services using Java or similar technology
- Extensive knowledge of RESTful Service development techniques and best practices
- Experience developing and scaling web services in a high growth environment
- Experience leading and mentoring junior engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming