Amazon GuardDuty is a customer facing threat detection service that was built to protect applications and services running in AWS. The service processes trillions of events and applies advanced analytics and machine learning to detect threats. https://aws.amazon.com/guardduty/
The Amazon GuardDuty team is looking for a strong software engineer to help build the future of the service. The team interacts with security researchers to codify security analytics into the service. The researchers use various Machine/Deep Learning algorithms to build new detections for the service. We are innovating new ways of building massively scalable and globally distributed security systems for assisting our customers with security and compliance. In this role, you will be responsible for architecting and developing core modules, design of new features in software applications, tools and services using object-oriented design, C, Rust. Diagnose and optimize performance bottlenecks in the system tied to the user of system resources like CPU, and Memory. Gather business and functional requirements from stakeholders, and translate requirements into technical specifications to build robust, scalable, supportable solutions that work well between a range of complexity.
This position is on a new team that you will be joining at its inception and it will have a startup feel. You must enjoy working on complex software systems in a customer-centric environment and be passionate not only about building good software but also ensuring that the same software achieves its goals in operational reality. You will be responsible for the development end-to-end lifecycle, from scoping, planning, conception, design, implementation and testing, to documentation, delivery and maintenance. Provide design reviews for other engineers, including feedback on architecture and design issues, as well as integration, performance and scalability.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. in Computer Science, Math, or some other algorithmic-centric discipline
- Demonstrated passion for building security products and services.
- 3+ years of professional experience with systems programming (multithreading, pipes, syscall monitoring, etc.) on Linux
- 3+ years of programming experience with C, C++ or Rust.
- 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Strong low-level Linux Operating System fundamentals
- M.S. in Computer Science, Math, or some other algorithmic-centric discipline
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience building network security systems such as firewalls, unified threat management, and virtual private network technologies
- Data-driven and quantitative mentality. Always backs up ideas with facts
- Desire and energy to work in a fast-paced environment - previous startup experience a plus
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming