Come change the way the world sees the Cloud!
You're a Software Development Engineer (SDE). Your time is limited and in demand. Rather than poring over hundreds of job descriptions, you'd rather just get to the part where you solve highly-complex problems, build environments to handle massive scale, develop thoughtful and elegant code, and partner with super smart teammates to deliver game-changing products and services.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once and be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various AWS teams. If you are successful in passing through the virtual interview and assessment, you will be asked to provide your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
These SDE openings span across the following AWS departments; Kumo and Cloud Front. These are full-stack software development positions, with teams either leaning towards back-end work or some leaning on front-end. These Software Development Engineers are a significant and autonomous contributors and have the opportunity to positively impact millions of customers' experience.
Additional responsibilities are and not limited to:
- Solve complex problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices
- Work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant
- Work on project ideas with either, customers, stakeholders, peers and help balance customer requirements with team requirements
- Evolve your team by actively participating in the code review process, design discussions, team planning, and ticket/metric/COE reviews.
- Take on projects and make software enhancements that improve team software and processes
- Train new team-mates on how your team's software is constructed, how it operates, how secure it is, and how it fits into the bigger picture
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our teams are co-located in the Vancouver office location, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. Some teams meet twice per week in the office and others generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of the SDE come in earlier and the other half of us stay later. Due to the evolving COVID-19 environment, Canada-based Amazon corporate employees have the option to work from home through June 30th, 2021. Until our organization safely returns to the office (this date will be determined and communicated by your manager).
The positions involve some on-call responsibilities, typically each team follows a standard process to limit the on-call requirement to a minimal. One average some of the teams follow one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our teams are dedicated to supporting new team members. Our teams have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our teams are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes we do get to build a really cool service, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day. We're looking for new teammates who are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; engineers who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of experience developing objected-oriented software, with mastery of one or more relevant languages (Java, C#, C++, Ruby, etc.)
- Understanding of system design, distributed systems, server less computing, cloud infrastructure, continuous integration, continuous delivery and DevOps
- Experience building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Experience with building, maintaining API's and working in an Agile / Scrum framework/methodologies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming