For millions of customers worldwide, the Amazon name is synonymous with delivery - and the Delivery Experience (DEX) team provides those customers with innovative ways to get what they want and need, enabling the choices they make on every order, every day. We combine customer impact with retail invention, solving huge technical challenges along the way.
DEX defines, builds, launches and manages customer-facing delivery programs and features across all of Amazon, including Prime 2-day shipping, Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery, One-Day Shipping, No Rush, Free Shipping over $25, and inventions yet to come. We own systems that power retail delivery (both customer-facing and back-end), leveraging company-wide technology solutions or designing them from the ground up. Together, DEX is changing how customers experience delivery - from the speed, convenience, and selection features they see on the site every day, to launching Prime delivery benefits and other new programs to customers around the world.
As a Sr Software Development Engineer in our team, you'll need an ability to design scalable solutions to new challenges, spanning multiple systems, some outside your team's ownership, and to effectively share your technical vision with others.
A successful engineer in this role is has the following attributes:
- You solve problems in ways that can be backed up with verifiable data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and methods which support rational decision-making.
- You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries.
- You help grow your team members to achieve excellent results. You foster the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
- You're able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers.
Individuals interested in this position should have practical experience in providing technical leadership to build high-performance, reliable systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment. The ideal candidate will have expertise in building back-end services in a modern programming language and in service API design.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Major in Computer Science, Engineering or related area. Bachelor's degree or above.
- 5+ years' experience with at least one language (Java, C++, Python, R, etc).
- 5+ years of strong OO design or functional design with understanding of common design patterns.
- 5+ years translating business requirements into operational systems
- Experience as Tech Lead for a team building complex systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Ability to propose creative and elegant solutions to complex technical problems.
- Commitment to operational excellence: building low-defect systems that are user-friendly with low operational burden.
- Willingness to own all stages of development process: design, testing, implementation, operational support.
- Willingness to work in an agile team development environment, have basic knowledge of agile design process, experience developing software in an agile environment is highly preferred.
- Experience building large-scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong influence in the team technical discussion and build team technical vision.
- Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
- Customer obsessed with the ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming