The Tax Software team is looking for a talented and enthusiastic System Development Engineer who is passionate about operations excellence and interested in raising the bar on how we maintain, operate and scale our tools and services to support our Tax Business Teams.
We are responsible for the tax classification program and provide core services that classify the products in Taxonomy in order to provide accurate amount of transactional taxes (sales tax and VAT) on Amazon. We thrive on providing correct tax amounts to the customer at order time, and make sure audit records are stored safely to meet tax law requirements around the globe. Our challenges include staying on top of the complex and ever-changing global tax rates and laws as well as computing calculations, classifying and storing them correctly and quickly, thousands of times a second, and each one needs to be right.
As a System Dev Engineer, you are a technical support lead on your team and act as a subject matter expert for one or more Classification tools and services support. You are viewed as a sys dev leader throughout the larger organization and are regularly engaged to work on cross-team planning. You lead support operations of large multi-team projects and resolve the most complex support issues by solving the chronic issues, building tools and scripts. You understand the business impact of support decisions. You drive the team to improve operational efficiency for all services through the identification and development of SLAs, metrics, monitors, procedures, tools, and documentation. You think proactively and work to prevent support issues before they are realized. You participate in design reviews to identify and mitigate support risks. You work closely with development teams to improve the change management life-cycle, peak readiness etc. You have a deep understanding of production architecture and are familiar with operating system best practices. You identify and drive small production architecture changes. You deep dive into automation issues to identify problems and work with engineering teams to resolve issues impacting fleet performance and availability. You'll be considered a subject matter expert capable of root causing all platform issues. You design and develop complex high performing scripts and applications. You work to solve performance issues using logs and monitoring tools. You work with other Amazon leaders to share ideas and improve support within the company. You play a significant role in hiring, mentoring, and training employees. You demonstrate excellent judgment when making decisions.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
BA in Computer Science with 3+ years of work experience OR Masters Degree in Computer Science with 1+ year of work experience
• 3+ years' experience in System or Support Engineering
• 3+ years of System Engineering/Administration experience in distributed environment focusing on automation
• 3+ years of experience with the Linux operating system or AWS and its operation in production environment
• 3+ years of experience working in a DevOps environment
• Experience with system and application monitoring, software distribution, patching and maintenancePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Broad knowledge of enterprise infrastructure.
• Demonstrated experience working with large-scale service-oriented systems.
• Three or more years of experience in scripting languages.
• Ability and willingness to solve problems across systems.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a team.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities.
• Experience with configuration management.
• Experience with system automation with scripts or tools.
• Outstanding speaking, writing, and presentation skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, notify your Recruiter.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Law Enforcement and Security Quality Assurance